Writing out an editorial calendar is 90% of the battle.
When it comes to getting your thoughts out into the world, the editorial calendar is your war general. Once you get your poop in a group so to speak, you are on your way to quickly producing content that will engage and captivate your readers regardless of your industry. Since the rules of Google have changed, it is of utmost importance to create original, thoughtful material to your customers and followers if you hope to gain ground in the search ranking game. Here is a fool-proof road-map for creating an editorial calendar that will keep you on track!
– Blogs relevant to your subject matter. Find out what other people are saying about your topic and try to speak to that.
– Social Media. Look at and study accounts who have many followers so you can get a good idea of who is making a splash and getting noticed. This will help you to appropriately tag, hashtag and name your articles for maximum exposure.
– Articles and trade journals. You may or may not already be aware of trade journals that exist in your industry but it is important to stay abreast of issues and topics that are being searched and shared online and pertain to your niche.
– Search the web. It may sound basic but look at the top search results for the specific topic and even headline about which you’re planning. You may find 1 of 2 things. A) there is a lot out there on the subject that you can use as research for your own topic or B) not much exists for this subject and you have a good opportunity to forge the path for this subject.
– Subjects, topics and article that pertain to your subject for future use, you never know what little tidbits may be helpful.
– A list of ideas for future blog articles or social posts, we like to keep Google Docs shared by our whole team.
– Images that can be used in your posts, even if they’re not perfect for one, you can save yourself time in the future by having them on hand.
– Your timelines and subjects. You need to tie your articles to trending topics and/or seasons, holidays or industry events to maximize the share-ability of your article.
– Hot-Button issues. These are issues people are searching and talking about; this is especially true for controversial issues. You always want to throw your hat in the ring if it is appropriate.
– Prioritize by your own level of knowledge on a subject. If you’re getting into issues where you need a lot more exploration, you may want to push it down the editorial calendar until you feel comfortable commenting.
– Your blogs, social, podcasts and photographic content etc. on a staggered schedule to avoid burn-out or overexposure.
– Realistically. Your greatest downfall can be overcommitting yourself and/or your team in the name of the schedule. Remember, it is better to produce good content less often than to put out a bunch of half-assed, tired content.
– The same post to go out again. You can double your readership of any given post by scheduling a repost the day after, then the week after, then the month after your original post.
– TIP: Your regular content should be no more than 300-500 words. People are hard-pressed to read any more than that at a time unless it is a special piece that they opt-into. Think of how much time you have in a day to consume information, it is hard to extend your audience past that. That being said, this blog post has run over the fore-mentioned limit….DON’T JUDGE ME!
5. Re-purpose EVERYTHING!
– Everything you write can be used sliced and diced for your marketing, website and social; think of the smarter vs. harder expression.
– Consider piecing your content together to make an e-book or series. This will make your content go further and increase the audience that sees it. It is also a smart way to build your email subscriber list.
– Use snippets of your original content for Twitter, Facebook or other social networks with a link to your website or blog This cuts down on the time you spend bending your noodle!!!
For other great tips on producing content and being a good person or manager in general, check some of our other great content!